Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Independent Clause

An independent clause (or main clause, matrix clause) is a clause that can stand by itself as a grammatically viable simple sentence. Independent clauses express a complete thought and contain a subject and a predicate. Multiple independent clauses can be joined by using a semicolon or a comma plus a coordinating conjunction (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so).

Examples

I love dogs. Sentence

I drive a bus. Simple Sentence

I am a bus driver, and my wife is a lawyer. (Compound sentence made up of two independent clauses: I am a bus driver and my wife is a lawyer)

I want to be an astronaut, but I need to receive my Astronaut Badge. (Compound sentence made up of two independent clauses: I want to be an astronaut and I need to receive my Astronaut Badge)

Go to the store, and get me a carton of milk. (Compound sentence) (Though a subject is not visible, in English the subject of an imperative is considered to be the pronoun 'you')

No comments:

Post a Comment